After Mediation
Frequently Asked Questions

Consent Decree

How will I know when my divorce is finalized?

The moment the Judge signs your consent decree, your divorce is finalized. The Aurit Center provides the court with stamped/addressed envelopes to send a copy to each of you so you will receive a copy of your Consent Decree via USPS. The return address will be for The Aurit Center; however, it comes directly from the court.

How long does it take to hear back from the court?

Your Judge will take 1-6 weeks to review and finalize your documents. We will verify that your documents are being reviewed but can not expedite the process.

Is the copy I received in the mail a “certified copy”?

The copy you receive in the mail will not be a ‘Certified Copy.’ However, in most instances, you will not need a Certified Copy other than to change your last name with the Social Security office, Department of Motor Vehicles, and your banks. In rare cases, it may be requested by a mortgage company or other institution. Before purchasing certified copies, ensure that a ‘certified’ copy is required. The court will only provide certified copies to you and your spouse upon your request. To obtain a certified copy, contact the County Superior Court in your county.

How do I request a certified copy?

(Select the county where your case was filed)

  • Apache: Visit the Records Request website to complete the necessary forms.
  • Coconino: Have your case number available and contact the court nearest you.
  • La Paz: Have your case number available and contact the court at (928) 669-6131.
  • Maricopa: Contact the court nearest you.
  • Mohave: Have your case number available and contact the court at (928) 753-0713.
  • Navajo: Have your case number available and contact the court nearest you.
  • Pima: Request copies in person or by email at Additional information is available on their website.
  • Pinal: Submit the ‘Request Records Form.’ Additional information is available on their website.
  • Yavapai: Have your case number available and contact the court at (928) 771-3312.
  • Yuma: Have your case number available and contact the court at (928) 817-4083.

Periodic Review

Arizona law requires that all Parenting Plans have a ‘Periodic Review’ clause.

Generally, this is a time for parents to discuss the current parenting plan and suggest, discuss and agree upon any necessary changes. Unless changes are made, the court does not need to be notified. If changes are made, parents can choose to submit documentation to the court.

It is important to know when your Periodic review is due. Within your Consent Decree, the wording may look like: “once per year”; “six (6) months after the divorce is final and then every year thereafter,” or “it shall occur during the first week of July.” Your Periodic Reviews can be formal or informal.

For a formal review, you can schedule a 2-hour mediation meeting to discuss any changes that either of you would like to make to your Parenting Plan. Formal reviews are helpful for co-parents who anticipate challenging conversations. For former clients, the fee is the same as an “Additional Meeting Fee,” significantly less than the new client fee.

For an informal review, you can meet outside of mediation. You may agree that no changes are needed. If you mutually agree to make changes, you can choose to put them in writing. It is a good idea to document informal meetings by exchanging emails confirming the review was completed. If simple changes need to be documented as a modification, The Aurit Center can prepare the necessary paperwork.

What if we need mediation and it’s not time for our periodic review?

You can schedule a mediation meeting if you both mutually agree to attend mediation or would like to modify your Parenting Plan. Per your Parenting Plan’s ‘Mediation Clause,’ a good-faith attempt at resolving the issue in mediation must be attempted before either parent seeking court intervention if there is a perceived breach of the Parenting Plan terms or a dispute. For many parents, mediation is a valuable tool for maintaining a healthy co-parenting relationship.

How to Change Your Name in Arizona

Via Your Consent Decree and How to Obtain a Certified Copy

Let your mediator know if you would like to include your name change in your Consent Decree. Once your divorce is final, you can order a Certified Copy online or in person at a Superior Court in your County. You can contact them directly for fee information. Use the certified copy to change your name with the Social Security Office, the Department of Motor Vehicles, and your financial institutions.

Without Inclusion of Name Change Within Your Consent Decree

For instructions and relevant forms, please visit

Family Support Services / Arizona Clearinghouse

If you have any questions related to child support and/or spousal maintenance through the Clearinghouse, follow the directions below to speak with a representative: Call 602-372-5375, Press 4, Press 1, Press 4

QDRO – Qualified Domestic Relations Orders (“qua-dro”)

A QDRO is used for the division of retirement accounts post-divorce. Select an attorney specializing in QDROs and provide them with a copy of your Consent Decree. While many professionals around the Valley may help facilitate the QDRO process, we know Robert Harrian to be an especially capable professional.

Kevin O’Brien, Gillespie, Shields & Taylor
(602) 870-9700 / Website

Robert F. Harrian, The Harrian Law Firm, P.L.C.
(602) 246-8101 / Website

S. Terry Lee, JurDoc, LLC
(480) 361-8088 / Website

Daniel S. Riley, Riley Law Firm
(602) 640-0719 / Website

Healthy divorce is a choice

Our free one-hour consultation comes with no obligation.
We are here to discuss your needs, answer your questions and ensure that our services are right for you.

Schedule your free consultation

(480) 999-7399 |